The book of Acts describes the expansion of the gospel through cities such as Jerusalem, Ephesus, Corinth, and Rome. The apostles’ world was much like today—a pluralistic, cosmopolitan, diverse, dynamic, and rapidly changing world. It was a great setting to build the early church, and the environment today is ripe for Apostolic revival.
North America is experiencing a re-urbanization. 180,000 people move into cities every day. That is 5.5 million people per month, the equivalent of a new San Francisco Bay area. These urbanites are seeking a new life in a new city. Our mission is to introduce them to the new life found in Jesus Christ, through a “Metro Missionary.”
Here's how it works:
- A minister is called by God to plant a church in a pre-approved metro city.
- The minister is approved through the District Board in which he/she desires to plant the church. Next, approval is sought from the North American Missions Committee.
- The approved missionary raises financial support by partnering with churches around North America.
- The missionary plants a church!
Rev. Steve Hanson is the Metro Missions Coordinator. Pastor Hanson planted the "Pentecostals of Portland, Oregon" over 25 years ago, and continues to pastor this revival church. He has a passion for cities, and a vision to reach all of North America's underchurched metro areas.
What We've Achieved
- For over 25 years, Metro Missions has established a proven track record.
- Of the 34 Metro Missionaries who have completed deputation and arrived onsite, 25 have established churches that are still part of the UPCI That is a 74% success rate!
- Those 25 Metro Missionaries have, in turn, planted 25 UPCI daughter works! That is 50 churches total, or a 147% success rate!